After receiving a comment this morning about dogs beings poisoned after picking up dead squirrels in Baie d’Urfé, I checked the town website and indeed found this warning :
Please keep a vigilant eye on what your dog is putting in its mouth, as there have been reports of dogs becoming very ill after having picked up dead squirrels. Cats can be affected too. If your pet shows signs of distress like red mouth, extreme joint stiffness and shaking, please consult your veterinary or after hours the DMV. Please report any similar or abnormal incidents to Miss Sarah Reed, Animal Services Officer for Baie d’Urfé at 514 386-0227.
Please keep your pets safe! Thanks Sarah, for the warning.
UPDATE : I’ve learned that the dogs have recovered, (after thousands in medical bills), and it’s been confirmed that the squirrels were poisoned.
UPDATE – JAN 3RD : I received more information on these incidents, thanks to Gabriel Boudreault, Inspector for the S.P.C.A. One dog at least was diagnosed with mycotoxin intoxication, which is caused by eating something moldy, like garbage or in this case the infected squirrel. Reassuring to know that it was not malice, but still something to be careful of, with your pets.
An article that appeared in the West Island Gazette can be found here.