In light of the investigative report on Berger Blanc by Enquête which exposed cruel and barbaric practices, beyond what anyone could have imagined, I implore everyone to simply abstain from bringing any animals there. They do not merit your trust. The piece can be viewed online here. (warning graphic)
Reminder : The petition against them is here
UPDATE – JULY 9TH : If you’re wondering if things are any different at Berger Blanc, they are not! Until they change (close) this post will remain on top.
UPDATE – JULY 14TH : Berger Blanc finally gets around to publishing their strays online! It’s still necessary to verify for your lost pets in person as often as possible!
For weeks I have anticipated the investigative report on Berger Blanc by Enquête with both impatience and dread. For years I’ve been amongst those who knew they weren’t operating as they should but wondered exactly what was happening behind their walls. As the guardian of 3 cats found abandoned on Berger Blanc territory, and a refuge dog that had been slated to be killed (in a different pound), I’m deeply upset thinking about what their fates could have been. But now as I nurse my emotional hangover I’m just furious that the sadism and incompetence will be allowed to continue. Emotions aside, I’ll try to provide a rundown on the latest, in order to help people negotiate what’s happening, and what can be done.
Last year, a disturbing report on a visit to Berger Blanc was the last straw. Finally people have had enough and decide to take concrete action.
- A facebook group is formed in order to gather and disseminate information, it’s called The Truth about Berger Blanc
- A petition is created here.
- In March an article appears in the english journal Montreal Mirror
- An extraordinary woman, Isabelle, decides to find out for herself what’s going on, and from that comes the damning report by Enquête, that exposes the cruelty taking place on a daily basis. Watch on tou.tv.(graphic!)
- English media picks up the story . Watch the CBC news report. (also graphic)
- The city of Montreal reacts in typical bureaucratic fashion. The city inspectors sent don’t find any irregularities?! This is their press release.
- Berger Blanc starts damage control (too late!) and reacts with a ridiculous defensive open letter on their site, found here. (in French) There site is still under construction. (sigh).
- The SPCA responds to the investigative report and underlying problems on their site.
- The Order of Veterinary Medicine of Quebec sends out a press release denouncing Berger Blanc’s practices: Read it here. (in french)
- Update – April 23rd : The city of Boucherville temporarily suspends its contract with Berger Blanc, pending review. Article is here. (french)
What more can you do?
- Show up at the manifestation hosted by SPA Canada, to be held tomorrow, Saturday, April 23rd : details are here
- Let our mayor Gerald Tremblay know what you think by commenting on his Facebook page here : (Please be respectful!)
- Visit the Humane Society International website : There you can sign their petition and also make use of the tools offered to send letters to your municipality. Find them here.
- Update – April 23rd : Sign the petition calling for Berger Blanc to appear before a tribunal. Sign here.
- Update – April 24th : Show up at the manifestation hosted by SPA Canada, to be held May 13th : details are here
Of course Berger Blanc are not the only guilty party here. The enormous quantity of animals that Berger Blanc so brutally handles all come from somewhere. Please don’t support puppy mills and back yard breeders, adopt from shelters. There shouldn’t be such a high volume of animals passing through their doors. (I wonder how many microchips would be found in their landfill). And please sterilize your pets. We need to ask ourselves if we’re part of the problem or the solution.
This post will possibly be updated as I find other pertinent information to pass on. Please stay tuned!
Berger Blanc is the largest for profit animal control service in Canada. What goes on inside its walls? You can finally find out. On April 21 Radio Canada’s Enquête will broadcast an investigative report on Berger Blanc. It will repeat on Radio Canada (CBC French) at 1pm on Saturday the 23rd and on RDI Sunday the 24th at 6pm, and Monday the 25th at 2 am.
Also available on line after the show airs.